Bus driver charged over fatal Tai Po accident - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Bus driver charged over fatal Tai Po accident

2018-02-12 HKT 18:07
Share this story facebook
  • Bus driver charged over fatal Tai Po accident
Carrie Lam
The police have charged a KMB bus-driver with dangerous driving causing death, following the accident in Tai Po on Saturday that killed 19 people. The 30-year-old man will appear in Fanling Magistracy on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, announced on Monday that the government is cancelling the Chinese New Year fireworks show scheduled for February 17 in view of the fatal accident.

She said the Chevalier Group, which sponsors the fireworks show in Victoria Harbour, supported the plan and promised to donate any money saved to families involved in the accident.

"In the last two days, we've heard from various quarters, including Legislative Council members across the political spectrum, suggesting that in order to pay respect to the deceased and the victims and for the community to express their grief, it was not very appropriate to continue with the Chinese New Year fireworks on the second day of the Lunar New Year", she said.

Lam also said that the SAR and national flags will fly at half-mast on Tuesday at the government's headquarters, and her cabinet will observe a minute of silence before the Executive Council meeting.

Civil servants were sent an email encouraging them to observe a one-minute silence at 10am on Tuesday.

The government also announced that donations from charities and other organisations for the victims of the accident had reached more than HK$42 million. Welfare Secretary Law Chi-kwong said he hoped the money could be passed on to the families affected as soon as possible.

Six injured bus passengers were still in critical condition and seven were seriously ill on Monday evening. Twenty-five others remained in hospital, while 27 had been discharged.

Last updated: 2018-2-12 21:31