Coliseum reopens as concert probe continues - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Coliseum reopens as concert probe continues

2022-08-12 HKT 21:56
Share this story facebook
  • A government taskforce continues to investigate an accident at a MIRROR concert. File photo: Internet
    A government taskforce continues to investigate an accident at a MIRROR concert. File photo: Internet
The government on Friday said the Hong Kong Coliseum will be open for use again as a probe into a serious accident at a MIRROR concert last month continues.

A huge video screen fell onto the stage during the show on July 28, injuring two dancers – one of them critically.

An investigation taskforce under the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) said after a meeting that it had examined and tested all suspended installations which had been removed from the stage.

It said while it’s found that metal fatigue had caused a suspension cord to snap, members are investigating whether the device that had been used to secure the video panel, or the way it was hung, were to blame for the accident.

The LCSD also said that the Hong Kong Coliseum will be passed to the next hirer on Saturday as scheduled.

Its website states that singer Terence Lam will hold six concerts at the venue over the next two weeks.

The department said the hirer has agreed to comply with safety measures in view of the accident, including a ban on the use of mechanical devices that swing, rotate or carry people.

Meanwhile, the organisers of the MIRROR concerts, Music Nation and MakerVille, said they will announce the refund arrangement next week after all remaining shows had been cancelled.