The Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong on Tuesday said it would not hold masses to mark the June 4 anniversary this year.
Responding to a media enquiry, the church expressed concerns such an event may breach the national security law.
“Since frontline workers and some members of the Justice and Peace Commission of the Catholic Church are concerned that holding these events would violate the national security law, memorial masses for June 4 will not be held,” the church said in an email message.
The diocese said holding masses are just one of the ways to commemorate the dead, adding it is meaningful to pray in private or in small groups.
Vigils marking the end of the 1989 student-led protests in Beijing had been held in Victoria Park for three decades. Authorities banned the vigil in 2020 and 2021, citing Covid-19 concerns.
Last year, the Justice and Peace Commission held masses to commemorate the anniversary at seven churches.