Executive Council convener Bernard Chan on Sunday hinted that he would not stay in the top advisory and policymaking body in the new government headed by incoming Chief Executive John Lee.
Speaking on a radio programme, Chan said he would like to see Hong Kong undergo new changes.
"I have served in the Executive Council for almost 13 years under pretty much all four chief executives. It's been quite some time already," he said.
"I'm sure that the incoming chief executive would have his own team. I'm pretty sure he would have his own recruits for the new executive council. I think Hong Kong deserves new changes and new hope."
Asked what he thinks should be the new government's priorities, Chan said resuming quarantine-free travel with the mainland should be high on the list.
"Hong Kong's future is always about our connectivity to China – that's the biggest market in the world. People would want to do business with China through Hong Kong," he said.
He added that the new government should proactively promote Hong Kong and rebuild the city's reputation which had been affected by the 2019 social unrest.
He said officials should also improve communication with the public by disseminating clear and simple messages rather than through traditional press releases that could not draw the attention of ordinary citizens.