Sports Commissioner Yeung Tak-keung on Monday said he's unsure why organisers of the Hong Kong Marathon are cancelling November's race, adding that the government is willing to provide assistance if they decide to reschedule the event instead.
Speaking on a radio programme, Yeung said authorities had been in "close communication" with the Hong Kong Association of Athletics Affiliates, which organises the marathon.
He said the two sides had been discussing ways to minimise infection risks, such as letting the 25,000 participants start the race in different batches.
The commissioner added that the association had told authorities last Friday that they were thinking of postponing the event until next February.
However, just hours later, organisers announced they were calling off the event due to a tight schedule.
"Looking back at last year's marathon, the government approved the October race in August - two months before the event took place. The preparation period is similar. Why did organisers think two months isn't enough to prepare this year? I believe the association had their own considerations," Yeung said.
Yeung said authorities will provide all necessary support and assistance should organisers decide to reschedule the mega race.