A woman died in a fire in a public housing flat in Kai Tak on Sunday afternoon, while a blaze in Mid-Levels left several people injured.
Police and firefghters were called to the home in Tak Loong House, Tak Long Estate at about 2pm.
The blaze was put out in about half an hour but the woman was found dead at the scene.
Separately, six people – including a firefighter – were taken to hospital in a number-three alarm fire in Mid Levels.
At a briefing, firefighters said the blaze may have involved a malfunctioning karaoke machine.
Some forty residents of Regal Crest in Robinson Road had to be evacuated by firefighters after a flat caught fire at about noon on Lunar New Year's Day. Thick smoke could be seen billowing from the building and the flat's balcony was charred black from the blaze. A further 70 people were able to leave on their own.
One of those injured was in a coma when he was sent to the hospital, while the firefighter was conscious.
Most of them were treated for smoke inhalation, while one person had burns to their hand.
Among those rescued was a dog stranded in a flat on the same floor as the affected home. The firefighters handed the Shih Tzu to its owner in a blanket.
The fire was brought under control at around 2.30 pm.
Last updated: 2023-01-22 HKT 17:50