A 40-year-old man has become Hong Kong's second monkeypox patient, with his case being confirmed months after the city found its first infection.
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) said on Saturday that the male patient, who had recently spent time in Japan, developed oral ulcers on January 31, and a fever, headache, rash and swollen lymph nodes later on.
The patient sought medical help from a general practitioner and is now in a stable condition at Princess Margaret Hospital, officials added.
"An initial investigation revealed that he had high risk exposure during the incubation period amid his stay in Japan," the CHP said. "According to the patient, he had not acquainted any [monkeypox] confirmed patients during his overseas stay and had no high risk exposure after returning to Hong Kong.
"As a precautionary measure, the CHP has arranged two household members of the patient to undergo quarantine and receive post-exposure vaccination. No close contacts have been identified after his onset of symptoms. The CHP's epidemiological investigations of the case are ongoing."
In September last year, officials reported the territory's first monkeypox patient, a 30-year-old man who had spent time in Canada, the United States and the Philippines.