The MTR Corporation on Wednesday said passengers caught abusing fare concessions will soon face stiffer penalties.
From June 25, the HK$500 surcharge for those without the right ticket on MTR lines will be doubled, while the penalty on light rail and MTR bus services will rise from HK$290 to HK$370.
The railway company also said ticket inspections will be stepped up.
Meanwhile, Welfare Secretary Chris Sun warned that Transport Department officers will conduct territory-wide law enforcement action this month.
In Legco, he noted that people found to have abused the HK$2 per trip scheme for residents aged 60 and above could end up in prison.
"The government is mindful of the recent different opinions on the HK$2 Scheme in society. As the enhancement and anti-abuse measures of the HK$2 Scheme have been implemented progressively for just over a year since the end of February 2022, the government's work focus at this stage is to step up efforts to combat abuse by ineligible persons," he said.
Sun also revealed that the cost of the HK$2 scheme has more than doubled this year.
He said HK$6.7 billion has been earmarked for the cheap fares, up from HK$3.1 billion last year.