The government on Wednesday said it strongly condemns criminals who hacked into Cyberport's computer system stealing 400 gigabytes of data, including personal information on individuals.
Innovation, technology and industry minister Sun Dong said he has directed the government's top IT office to take necessary steps to avoid a repeat of what happened.
Government departments and public organisations have been sent emails telling them to immediately review their cyber security measures.
Sun revealed that Cyberport, which is wholly owned by the government, has been subject to several more attacks in the past few weeks, but was able to fend them off.
The minister said both officials and the general public need to be more careful about cyberattacks.
"As technology advances, cyber criminals are getting smarter. The threat to cyber security is everywhere," the minister told reporters.
"I hope everyone in Hong Kong can raise their cyber security awareness, and different government departments can indeed strengthen their work in this area."
Sun also sought to reassure the public by saying that Hong Kong's overall cyber security level is actually "not bad".
Cyberport said late on Tuesday that more data involving the names, contact details and credit card information of current and former staff, as well as job applicants, have been made available on the dark web.
The technology park announced the data breach last week. The privacy commissioner's office said it had been made aware of the attack in the middle of last month.