China strongly urges all parties in Myanmar to ensure the safety of earthquake relief workers and supplies from China and other countries, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Wednesday.
In response to a query at a daily press briefing, Guo Jiakun said relief supplies provided by the Red Cross Society of China have arrived in Myanmar and are on their way to the disaster-stricken area of Mandalay.
"At present, relief workers and supplies are safe," Guo said.
That came after Myanmar's junta said earlier in the day that its troops had fired warning shots when a Chinese Red Cross convoy failed to stop while approaching a conflict area to deliver aid to earthquake victims.
The group of nine vehicles was approaching Ommati village in northern Shan State on Tuesday night, and failed to stop when signalled by soldiers, junta spokesman Zaw Min Tun said.
"From a distance of around 200 metres, security forces used a light to try to halt them but they did not stop," he said.
"The security forces fired three gunshots aiming at the sky."
International aid and rescue workers have been coming in to Myanmar, including from its close ally China, since Friday's 7.7-magnitude quake, which has killed close to 2,800 people and left thousands homeless.
But access to the worst-hit areas has been hindered by wrecked roads, poor telecommunications and ongoing violence between the junta and rebel militias.
Zaw Min Tun said the convoy belonged to the Chinese Red Cross and that the junta was investigating the incident.
Shan state has been the scene of intense fighting between the junta and ethnic minority armed groups which have seized control of large areas of territory. (AFP/Xinhua)