Govt set to unveil Wang Fuk Court plan: sources - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Govt set to unveil Wang Fuk Court plan: sources

2026-02-20 HKT 17:22
Share this story facebook
  • The task force on emergency accommodation arrangements for Wang Fuk Court had been requested to continue its work during the Lunar New Year holiday and come up with solutions as soon as possible. File photo: RTHK
    The task force on emergency accommodation arrangements for Wang Fuk Court had been requested to continue its work during the Lunar New Year holiday and come up with solutions as soon as possible. File photo: RTHK
The government is set to announce as early as Saturday long-term housing plans for Wang Fuk Court owners and residents affected by the Tai Po inferno last year, RTHK has learnt.

Sources say Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong – who heads the task force on emergency accommodation arrangements for the estate – alongside Housing Secretary Winnie Ho will provide further details at a press briefing on Saturday.

Officials had earlier distributed a questionnaire to the estate’s flat owners and residents to gather their long-term rehousing preferences.

According to the questionnaire, three sites – including the original Wang Fuk Court location – were identified as potentials to rebuild the estate in the same district.

“House-for-house” or cash buyback were also among the options offered by the administration.

Speaking in LegCo last month, Wong said that fully rebuilding the estate at its current site would be very challenging and stressed that government buyout is the fastest and most flexible option.

The minister stressed that a rebuilding process could take up to a decade, pointing to ownership and related legal issues.

Chief Executive John Lee had also pointed to three key challenges for the task force: finding solutions that meet the needs of different families, handling insurance-related matters and resolving legal issues.

Speaking last Friday after visiting a group of affected Wang Fuk Court residents, Lee said he had requested the task force to continue its work during the Lunar New Year holiday and come up with solutions as soon as possible.



Edited by Aaron Tam

Govt set to unveil Wang Fuk Court plan: sources