A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

WHO declares health emergency over ebola outbreak

2026-05-18 HKT 07:59
Share this story facebook
  • The WHO says the ebola outbreak does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency, but warned that countries sharing land borders with the Democratic Republic of Congo are at high risk of further spread. Photo: Reuters
    The WHO says the ebola outbreak does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency, but warned that countries sharing land borders with the Democratic Republic of Congo are at high risk of further spread. Photo: Reuters
Jamie Clarke reports
The World Health Organization declared an international health emergency on Sunday over an outbreak of an Ebola strain in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has killed more than 80 and for which there is no vaccine.

Fears of further spread grew when a laboratory on Sunday confirmed a case in the major eastern DRC city of Goma, which is controlled by the Rwanda-backed M23 militia.

A total of 88 deaths and 336 suspected cases of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever have so far been reported, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC Africa) said in an update on Saturday.

"A positive case in Goma has been confirmed by tests carried out by the laboratory. It involves the wife of a man who died of Ebola in Bunia, who travelled to Goma after her husband's death whilst already infected," Professor Jean-Jacques Muyembe, director of the Congolese National Institute for Biomedical Research (INRB), told AFP.

WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus expressed deep disquiet as the reported cases rise.

"I determine that the epidemic constitutes a public health emergency of international concern," Ghebreyesus posted to X, albeit adding that as yet it "does not meet the criteria of pandemic emergency".

As things stand, the Geneva-based WHO has declared its second-highest level of alert – a pandemic being the highest – with the global health body warning the scale of the current outbreak remains unclear.

"There are significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread," the WHO said.

Medical aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said it was preparing a "large-scale response", calling the rapid spread of the outbreak "extremely concerning".

DR Congo's Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba said the Bundibugyo strain causing the outbreak had "a very high fatality rate, which can reach 50 percent".

The strain – first identified in 2007 – has also killed a Congolese national in neighbouring Uganda, officials said Saturday.

Uganda on Sunday announced the postponement of the Martyrs' Day pilgrimage, an annual Christian festival that normally draws thousands of worshippers from across the border in eastern Congo.

Vaccines are only available for the Zaire strain, which was identified in 1976 and has a higher fatality rate of 60-90 percent.

Health officials had confirmed the latest outbreak on Friday in Ituri province in northeastern DRC, bordering Uganda and South Sudan, according to CDC Africa.

According to Kamba, patient zero was a nurse who reported to a health facility in Ituri's provincial capital Bunia on April 24, with symptoms suggesting Ebola.

Symptoms of the disease include fever, haemorrhaging and vomiting.

It is the 17th Ebola outbreak to hit the DRC, and officials warned of a high risk of spread.

With the outbreak largely concentrated in difficult to access areas few samples have been lab tested. But the WHO said the high positivity rate of initial samples, the confirmation of cases in two countries, and the increasing reports of suspected cases "all point towards a potentially much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported, with significant local and regional risk of spread". (AFP)



Edited by Cecil Wong

WHO declares health emergency over ebola outbreak