A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Xi orders all-out rescue in wake of Shanxi mine blast

2026-05-23 HKT 11:04
Share this story facebook
  • Xi Jinping says authorities across the country must learn from the mine  accident and eliminate potential risks to prevent major accidents. File photo: Reuters
    Xi Jinping says authorities across the country must learn from the mine accident and eliminate potential risks to prevent major accidents. File photo: Reuters
President Xi Jinping on Saturday urged all-out rescue efforts for those missing and treatment for those injured in a coal mine gas explosion in Shanxi.

Eight people have been confirmed dead and 38 remain trapped underground after the coal mine accident in Qinyuan County in the northern province on Friday night, the local emergency management authority said on Saturday.

A gas explosion occurred at the Liushenyu coal mine in the county at 7.29pm on Friday, with 247 workers on duty underground.

As of 6am on Saturday, 201 survivors had been brought to the surface safely, and eight others were confirmed dead.

Rescue efforts were still underway. The cause of the accident is under further investigation.

Xi called for proper handling of the aftermath of the accident and urged a thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law.

He stressed that authorities across the country must learn from the accident, remain vigilant on workplace safety and intensify efforts to identify and eliminate potential risks in order to prevent major accidents.

As China has entered its flood season, he also called for strengthened emergency preparedness and solid flood control and disaster relief measures to safeguard people's lives and property. (Xinhua)



Edited by Robert Kemp

Xi orders all-out rescue in wake of Shanxi mine blast