The government is ramping up preparations for the new Huanggang port facility with a massive stress test on Saturday, mobilising 10,000 civil servants – double the number involved in previous exercises.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Secretary for Security Chris Tang said that the drill would also serve as the inaugural trial run for several cutting-edge border clearance technologies.
"This is the first time we will try to test the e-channel regarding the collaborative clearance and joint inspection. So, this is the first time that we are trying to [use] some of the e-channel machines," he said.
"And also the joint vehicle clearance checkpoint, we will try to test the running of the system. Although we may not be able to use the machine itself, but we'll test the procedure as to how it runs."
This weekend’s exercise marks the third in a series of readiness tests for the new crossing. According to authorities, the 10,000-participant target represents a 20 percent increase over the historical peak hourly clearance volume of 7,700 people.
The scope of this drill will be significantly broader than its predecessors.
While a previous test focused specifically on the public transport interchange with 5,000 people, the event on Saturday will expand to include the full boundary clearance process.
The vehicle booths, which were only operationally tested last time, will now face a rigorous stress test, in which organisers have reached out to automobile groups in hopes of securing close to 1,000 vehicles to participate.
Tang had previously indicated that a fourth test is already scheduled to take place on August 29.
Edited by Aaron Tam
