News Programmes - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

News Programmes

Share this story facebook
Hong Kong Today
Hong Kong Today
Description:
RTHK's morning news programme. Weekdays 6:30 - 8:00
Presenter:
Ian Pooler and Samantha Butler

2018-10-10
Wednesday

Now playing: 足本播放 Play full episode
Selected audio segments:
Policy Address to focus on housing   Listenfacebook
The Chief Executive Carrie Lam say she has 250 new measures she will unveil in her Policy Address on Wednesday morning. Much like last year's speech, housing is expected to be a major focus. Damon Pang reports:
Groups await news of total e-cigarette ban   Listenfacebook
For the past several months, groups including the medical and education sectors, have been campaigning for a total ban on e-cigarettes. The government has earlier proposed treating vaping and heat-not-burn products the same as traditional tobacco items, such as restricting their sale to under 18s. But leaks to the media suggest the Chief Executive has listened and will announce a total ban on e-cigarettes in her Policy Address. The lawmaker representing the education sector, Ip Kin-yuen, told Samantha Butler he had not heard this news but would welcome it:
Murder-suicide highlights plight of residents of sub-divided flats  Listenfacebook
A suspected murder, suicide and arson case that killed two people in Sham Shui Po has put the spotlight on the poor living conditions of sub-divided flats. Police believe one man might have attacked his neighbour, before jumping to his death. The Society for Community Organisation says residents of sub-divided units often fall out with one another because of their cramped and poor living conditions. A community organiser with the group, Angela Lui, told Priscilla Ng about the plight of many of these tenants:
FT to appeal against visa rejection of its Asia news editor   Listenfacebook
The Financial Times says it will appeal against the Hong Kong government's refusal to renew the work visa of its Asia news editor Victor Mallet. The government has not offered any explanation for the decision, but it is widely believed to be related to Mallet's hosting of a talk by independence advocate Chan Ho-tin at the Foreign Correspondents' Club. The Financial Times says it will file the appeal "in the absence of an explanation from the Hong Kong authorities". The Chief Executive Carrie Lam, meanwhile, called it "pure speculation" to link the visa denial to the FCC talk. Jimmy Choi reports:
Lawmaker calls for clarity over Mallet's departure date  Listenfacebook
Professional Commons lawmaker Charles Mok says the Immigration Department needs to make it clear within the next few days as to whether Mallet can remain in Hong Kong while the FT's visa appeal is underway. Mallet was issued a seven-day tourist visa when he arrived back to the SAR on Sunday night. Mok also told Ian Pooler that it was obvious the visa denial was linked to the pro-independence talk.
Pair found guilty for blocking bus in Causeway Bay  Listenfacebook
The Eastern Court has found a man and a woman guilty of blocking a bus from moving for 15 minutes in Causeway Bay last year after they were unable to board the vehicle. But the male defendant was acquitted of assaulting a pedestrian who tried to get them out of the way. Timmy Sung reports:
Coke, Pepsi, Nestle are top producers of plastic waste  Listenfacebook
Data collected from beach clean-ups across the globe suggest corporate giants Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, and Nestle are among the world's biggest plastic polluters. The findings were released in a new report from the global movement Break Free From Plastic, which is urging corporations to take responsibility for the full life-cycle of their products and packaging. The report includes data from volunteers who conducted clean-ups here in Hong Kong. Julie Metta, a PhD candidate at the City University's School of Energy and Environment, told Richard Pyne about the clean-up she co-organised with Isabelle Chabrat at Shek O Beach last month:
The Excelsior Hotel to close next March  Listenfacebook
The owner of The Excelsior in Causeway Bay has announced the decades-old hotel will be closed next year and redeveloped into a 26-storey commercial building. Tom McAlinden reports: