Foreign Ministry spokesman, Geng Shuang, on Monday denied a report that Chief Executive Carrie Lam had tried to submit her resignation over the the extradition bill controversy.
According to the London-based Financial Times, Lam had wanted to step down to put a stop to the crisis, only to be told to stay and “clean up the mess”.
But Geng said he's never heard of such claims, adding the central government firmly supports Lam and the SAR government.
The Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong also said the Financial Times report was "completely unfounded".
In a statement, it added that the Chief Executive's Office had already clarified the matter.
It urged the media to uphold their ethics and stop spreading false information.
Lam was also asked about the report when she met the media after visiting police officers injured in clashes in Sha Tin in hospital.
The CE said she has already stated that she remains committed to continuing her work, and will continue to lead her team even though she’s going through a difficult time.