I'm worried for people's safety: march 'organiser' - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

I'm worried for people's safety: march 'organiser'

2019-07-27 HKT 16:32
Share this story facebook
  • The organiser of the now-banned protester, Max Chung, tells protesters to shout for help if necessary. Photo: RTHK
    The organiser of the now-banned protester, Max Chung, tells protesters to shout for help if necessary. Photo: RTHK
Max Chung speaks to RTHK's Joanne Wong
An organiser of a Saturday protest march banned by the police, Max Chung, said on Saturday that he was concerned about the safety of people who had pressed ahead with a demonstration in Yuen Long regardless.

Chung said earlier this week that he would be walking along the proposed march route even though the police had objected to the protest and he advised others not to join him.

But on Saturday afternoon, thousands clad in black streamed along the main road in Yuen Long for the march.

“I’m not concerned about my safety, but of course I am concerned about everyone else’s safety,” Chung told RTHK’s Joanne Wong, adding that if people got into any trouble, they should shout for help.

“If there is any confrontation – there will be only two groups of people who will launch their attacks on Hong Kong people today,” he said.

“The first group would be the Hong Kong police, and the second group would be those ‘terrorists organised and supported by the Peking liaison office.”

Chung said he had no plan to enter any indigenous villages, but said even if he does, he would only be meeting friends who live there for tea and “perfectly friendly talks”.

The protest follows last Sunday night's violent attacks at the West Rail Line Station in Yuen Long.