The government has strongly condemned protesters who took part in the violence in Yuen Long on Saturday, saying the police will take serious follow-up action.
In a statement, it said it deeply regretted that some people had taken part in the march, even though police had objected and permission had not been granted.
It said, in spite of this, the government had still put in place special traffic arrangements to ensure public safety.
Police fired tear gas, sponge bullets and rubber bullets, citing violent behaviour from some protesters, who'd charged police cordons with iron rods and makeshift shields.
Later dozens of riot police officers stormed into Yuen Long MTR station with batons and shields at around 10 pm, in an attempt to subdue and arrest protesters.
The Hospital Authority said 24 people had been treated in hospital after the protests. It said two were in a serious condition.
Saturday's rally was a response to last Sunday's violence in Yuen Long, after alleged triads wearing white shirts attacked people at Yuen Long MTR station with sticks.
The alleged triads had apparently been looking for people who had been returning from an anti-extradition protest on Hong Kong island earlier in the day.
Police were criticised for their slow response to the violence by the alleged triads, leading to accusations of collusion.
Last updated: 2019-07-28 HKT 12:18
Government criticises Yuen Long violence
2019-07-28 HKT 09:04
2019-12-21 HKT 17:19
2019-12-21 HKT 15:58
2019-11-21 HKT 16:10
2019-10-22 HKT 12:22
2019-10-21 HKT 14:35
2019-08-23 HKT 17:39
2019-08-22 HKT 15:33
2019-08-01 HKT 17:40
2019-07-30 HKT 19:16
2019-07-30 HKT 17:05
2019-07-30 HKT 13:49
2019-07-28 HKT 03:36
2019-07-28 HKT 03:04
2019-07-28 HKT 01:41