Four attacked amid high tension in North Point - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Four attacked amid high tension in North Point

2019-08-11 HKT 18:27
Share this story facebook
  • Four attacked amid high tension in North Point
  • The streets are packed with people wearing Fujian t-shirts, curious onlookers and journalists, but no protesters. Photo: RTHK
    The streets are packed with people wearing Fujian t-shirts, curious onlookers and journalists, but no protesters. Photo: RTHK
  • This North Point resident says he wants to show he will not be intimidated by anyone. Photo: RTHK
    This North Point resident says he wants to show he will not be intimidated by anyone. Photo: RTHK
Damon Pang reports
At least four people, including two journalists, have been attacked in North Point, as groups of people who claimed to be defending the district from anti-government protesters roamed the streets despite a heavy police presence.

Just before 8pm, a man in a black t-shirt was attacked by a group of around ten men on King’s Road.

While video journalist Ronson Chan from Stand News and RTHK reporter Damon Pang went forward to film the attack, one of the men pushed Chan away, shouting “what are you filming?”

He then grabbed Chan’s tripod and started swinging it around, striking Pang on the shoulder and causing an injury.

The man who was the initial target of the attack was left bleeding from the mouth and was later taken to hospital by paramedics. Both reporters continued working after the incident.

Further altercations were reported later in the evening, with a woman seen being led away by police officers at one point.

The latest clashes follows two earlier attacks in the same area.

Earlier in the afternoon, a camera assistant for RTHK was reportedly struck in the head outside a restaurant on King’s Road.

Later, a man was filmed being pushed to a ground outside the same restaurant by a group of men. Some were wearing t-shirts bearing words such as "Fujianese" and "Protect Hong Kong, China".

A few police officers stopped the fight and took one of the alleged attackers away.

RTHK later issued a statement saying the broadcaster is 'enraged' by the attacks on the two RTHK journalists and condemns all violent behaviour. The station also said it is reserving all rights to possible legal action.

Other journalists at the scene also reported being subject to hostile behaviour. On several occasions, reporters were pushed and jostled by the crowd.

A photographer who had climbed on a metal railing was pushed by a man, who also shoved aside police officers who arrived to intervene. He was allowed to leave.

But there remained a mix of people on the streets, including curious onlookers, plenty of journalists, and one man who held up a small banner reading “100% freedom”.

“I live in this neighbourhood and I refuse to show that I will be intimidated by anyone,” he said. “Hong Kong is still free and freedom of speech still exists here. Regardless of what side of the fight you’re on, everyone deserves an opinion and my opinion can be told too.”

There have been persistent rumours that people of Fujianese descent have been planning a reprisal against protesters following clashes on Monday between anti-government protesters and assailants armed with sticks and bamboo poles.

However, anti-government demonstrators stayed well clear of the area on Sunday.

In the afternoon, an RTHK journalist spotted a small group of black-clad demonstrators in Fortress Hill heading towards North Point. But they stopped and walked back the other way after a brief discussion well before entering the district.
______________________________
Last updated: 2019-08-11 HKT 21:58