The MTR Corporation announced on Friday that it has decided to preserve relevant security footage from its stations for three years.
This comes as some protesters and lawmakers have been pressing the rail operator to release August 31 footage from Prince Edward Station when police stormed a train and beat up some passengers.
A lawmaker had said earlier that the MTR usually keeps the footage only for 28 days.
This comes as a crowd of protesters gathered at Prince Edward MTR Station on Friday, with some kneeling and literally begging the railway operator to release the CCTV footage from August 31.
Dozens of people, including students in uniform, were among those at the station to show support to those people appealing to the railway authorities.
Reports said the events were triggered after a girl knelt down at the station around 7am, imploring rail officials not to destroy the footage and to release it to the public.
By noon, the crowd had swelled with more people kneeling down at the station.
One middle-aged woman, who said she was one of the passengers at Prince Edward on August 31, told the press that she has a heart problem and was lucky to have escaped the police that night.
Labour Party lawmaker Fernando Cheung, who was at the scene, said the MTR had told him that it normally keeps CCTV footage for 28 days.
Some people, including opposition lawmakers, had asked the railway operator to release the footage.
There was no media coverage of the station clearance on August 31 as police officers prevented journalists from entering. In a late night media briefing, the police had said that 40 people were arrested at the scene.
MTR decides to keep station footage for 3 years
2019-09-06 HKT 14:00
2019-09-20 HKT 18:28
2019-09-20 HKT 17:53
2019-09-20 HKT 11:24
2019-09-20 HKT 11:07
2019-09-20 HKT 00:05
2019-09-19 HKT 18:30
2019-09-19 HKT 18:14
2019-09-19 HKT 17:09
2019-09-19 HKT 15:36
2019-09-19 HKT 15:09
2019-09-19 HKT 14:55
2019-09-19 HKT 12:57
2019-09-19 HKT 12:15
2019-09-19 HKT 09:41