The government on Saturday issued a statement seeking to reassure the public that nobody has been killed during police enforcement action over the past few months.
In particular, it dismissed fears that people had died when police cleared protesters at Prince Edward MTR Station on August 31.
The statement noted that the police had already categorically rejected the rumour that protesters had been killed that night, and that the Fire Services Department had announced that seven casualties who needed to be taken to hospital were escorted from the rail network by ambulance personnel.
The government also pointed out that the Hospital Authority has confirmed it didn't record any deaths relating to the Prince Edward disturbances.
"Any online rumour that says otherwise is not only false, but also malicious," a government spokesman said.
"It is a deep regret that such irresponsible rumour keeps spreading with the ill intent to mislead general members of the public, and to sow division and discontent in society at a time when the government is sincerely trying to establish the dialogue platform," he added.
Crowds of people have been gathering inside and outside Prince Edward Station since last Saturday night, with some building shrines and placing flowers there in light of the rumours.
Protesters are also demanding that the MTR Corporation release video recordings made inside the station on the night, being as police had driven journalists away before making dozens of arrests in the building.
The government's statement was issued after Prince Edward Station was closed for the second evening in a row due to protest action.
Nobody died at Prince Edward MTR Station: govt
2019-09-07 HKT 17:42
2020-01-21 HKT 17:02
2020-01-21 HKT 15:25
2020-01-21 HKT 12:37
2020-01-21 HKT 11:40
2020-01-20 HKT 18:54
2020-01-20 HKT 17:06
2020-01-20 HKT 15:06
2020-01-20 HKT 14:21
2020-01-20 HKT 00:18
2020-01-19 HKT 23:18
2020-01-19 HKT 22:15
2020-01-19 HKT 21:28
2020-01-19 HKT 20:11
2020-01-19 HKT 16:26
2020-01-18 HKT 22:07
2020-01-18 HKT 18:21