No different approach to Yuen Long, says govt - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

No different approach to Yuen Long, says govt

2019-10-22 HKT 12:22
Share this story facebook
  • No different approach to Yuen Long, says govt
Acting Chief Executive Matthew Cheung on Tuesday defended the government's response to the July 21 Yuen Long attack, saying it would be impossible for officials to visit every one of the victims.

Cheung, who is acting as CE while Carrie Lam is visiting Japan, was answering questions on the government's response to the Yuen Long incident in comparison to top officials readily reaching out to the Muslim community by visiting Kowloon Mosque after the police sprayed it with a water cannon.

"We can't possibly visit everybody there [Yuen Long], but for every single incident, as I said, we do show our concern … we are very worried, conscious of the sentiment or the feelings of those affected. That’s why the earlier we can get the IPCC report out, the better”, he said.

"There's no question of any discrimination at all. When it comes to the visiting of the mosque, in fact the whole idea is to underline that Hong Kong is an inclusive society, we do respect particular religious freedom in Hong Kong," the acting CE added.

Hundreds of people took to the streets of Yuen Long on Monday to mark three months since the indiscriminate attack on protesters and train passengers by white-clad men at the MTR station there, which put at least 45 people in hospital.

Cheung said the public should be patient and leave the matter in the hands of the IPCC, which he said has experience in bringing people to justice.

The number two official had faced criticism after he said during a radio interview earlier that it is time to "move on" from the incident.