Warning shot, tear gas as protests turn violent - RTHK
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Warning shot, tear gas as protests turn violent

2019-11-08 HKT 22:48
Share this story facebook
  • Warning shot, tear gas as protests turn violent
  • Some protesters blocked Tong Ming Road in Tseung Kwan O. Photo: RTHK
    Some protesters blocked Tong Ming Road in Tseung Kwan O. Photo: RTHK
  • A makeshift barricade burns in Mong Kok. Photo: RTHK
    A makeshift barricade burns in Mong Kok. Photo: RTHK
Impromptu memorials held across Hong Kong for a student who died on Friday morning turned ugly in the evening, with protesters throwing petrol bombs and bricks at police, blocking roads and setting fires, while an officer reportedly fired a warning shot in Yau Ma Tei.

Police also used tear gas against protesters in Aberdeen, Tsuen Wan, Mong Kok, Whampoa and Tseung Kwan O as the protests ran late into the night.

Tens of thousands of mourners had been gathering at multiple locations across the territory to pay tribute to 22 year-old Chow Tsz-lok, who’s thought to be the first direct fatality in the Hong Kong protests.

Many blame police for his death, accusing officers of delaying ambulancemen from reaching the student in Tseung Kwan O early on Monday morning. Others have accused officers of chasing him before he apparently fell from the third floor of a car park to the second floor.

Police have strenuously denied this, saying new CCTV footage shows Chow walking alone for more than half an hour in and around the car park before walking towards the spot he’s believed to have fallen from.

Mourners and protesters alike dismissed the police explanations, and vented their rage by blocking roads and setting fires in multiple locations.

Black-clad protesters threw petrol bombs at riot police in Tseung Kwan O, and an RTHK reporter on the scene said police responded with shots from their non-lethal weapons. One reporter was carried off injured after he was apparently hit by a police projectile.

Protesters also set an electrical control box outside Sheung Tak Plaza in Tseung Kwan O on fire. The box emitted multiple loud bangs and spewed out a steady stream of black smoke, before firefighters arrived to douse the flames.

A number of street lights subsequently went out.

Police said in a statement early on Saturday that protesters set up barricades in Causeway Bay, Mong Kok, Tseung Kwan O, Sha Tin, Tuen Mun, and Yuen Long, with some hurling bricks at officers. They said protesters also charged a police cordon line at Nathan Road, Mong Kok.

They said protesters also caused extensive damage to shops and public utilities, including banks and MTR stations, and threw petrol bombs at Tin Shui Wai Police Station.

A police officer reportedly fired a warning shot into the sky in Yau Ma Tei, at the intersection of Pitt Street and Jordan Road on Friday evening, after he was apparently surrounded by protesters.

Nearby in Mong Kok, fires were set and an entire telephone booth was toppled. A TVB cameraman was surrounded by some people, who damaged his camera.

Riot police soon arrived to confront the crowd, and repeatedly unfurled black flags warning of the imminent use of tear gas, though they did not actually deploy them.

Police did fire tear gas several times in Tsuen Wan, where large crowds had gathered.

In Aberdeen, tear gas was used on Aberdeen Praya Road after protesters threw bricks and other objects at officers.

Tensions were high in Tuen Mun, with several people detained, after roads were blocked and fires were set.

People started cursing and shouting at officers as they were restraining the suspects, prompting officers to threaten them with pepper spray.

One woman was taken away by ambulance for a reported head injury, but it wasn’t immediately clear how she was hurt.

Crowds also gathered in Central, Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui, Sha Tin, and Kwun Tong.

They chanted slogans condemning police brutality, and also called for a territory-wide strike on November 11 to express their discontent with the government.

The unrest again prompted the MTR Corporation to shut down multiple stations early, including the Disneyland Resort line, Tung Chung, Sunny Bay, Causeway Bay, Sai Wan Ho, Mong Kok,Tseung Kwan O, Tsuen Wan, Mong Kok, Whampoa, Tiu Keng Leng, Shatin, and Ma On Shan. All light rail routes were suspended because of the disturbances.
Last updated: 2019-11-09 HKT 00:44