Protesters return to the streets after calm Saturday - RTHK
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Protesters return to the streets after calm Saturday

2019-11-10 HKT 15:32
Share this story facebook
  • Protesters return to the streets after calm Saturday
  • Protesters vandalise Sha Tin MTR station. Photo: RTHK
    Protesters vandalise Sha Tin MTR station. Photo: RTHK
Fresh anti-government protests broke out on Sunday in several districts across Hong Kong, following euphemistic online calls for protesters to go shopping.

In Sha Tin, protesters vandalised a Maxim's cake shop near Sha Tin MTR station, after smashing up ticket machines and gates there. They also went inside a restaurant operated by Maxim's group, overturning tables and spraying paint on the wall.

Shops run by the Maxim's group have been a target for protesters, ever since Annie Wu - the 71-year-old daughter of the company's founder - criticised their behaviour and backed the government line. Her standpoint received strong support from Beijing.

Protesters have also been regularly vandalising MTR stations. They accuse the MTR of helping the government and the railway operator has been closing stations early to repair the damage, and to protect passengers and staff. The MTR has now closed Sha Tin station. All trains on the East Rail line will not stop there.

In Tsuen Wan, police fired tear gas at a footbridge and a Now TV reporter was hit on the arm by a tear gas canister. Earlier, officers subdued a number of protesters who had put up barricades on a main road.

Meanwhile in Kowloon Tong, undercover officers with batons detained several people inside Festival Walk. An angry crowd then surrounded them, with one man - believed to be an officer- being hit in the eye. A few dozen riot police then entered the mall, detaining more people.

In a statement, police said they deployed plain-clothes officers to arrest violent protesters, who had vandalised shops inside the upmarket mall.

They said, during the operation, a large number of rioters heckled and assaulted the officers and tried to free at least one person. Police said officers then used minimal force to continue with the operation.

Police told protesters to leave the area. They also called on bystanders be on the alert, saying there were rioters were gathering nearby.

Protesters also gathered in Causeway Bay and the Sogo Department Store has now closed its doors, even though a popular sale was taking place and police were present. Shoppers were ushered out just before 5 pm.

On Saturday, Hong Kong saw a day of relative calm though thousands took part in an authorised gathering in Tamar Park to mourn the death of a 22-year-old student, Chow Tsz-lok. He died after falling from a car park in Tseung Kwan O when a protest was taking place nearby.

Police say they had nothing to do with his death and that CCTV footage shows he was walking alone around the car park not long before he died.

Last updated: 2019-11-10 HKT 17:58