Police fire tear gas, reporter injured in Mong Kok - RTHK
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Police fire tear gas, reporter injured in Mong Kok

2019-12-16 HKT 00:05
Share this story facebook
  • Police fire tear gas, reporter injured in Mong Kok
A two-week spell without tear gas ended on Sunday night as police repeatedly used the crowd-control weapon late on Sunday night in Mong Kok against crowds of people in the area.

One canister fired on Portland Street reportedly hit a reporter from the Baptist University’s student publication near his right eye, drawing blood.

However, a social media post from the Baptist University Students' Union Editorial Board said the reporter seemed to be fine despite being in some pain, after receiving treatment from volunteer medics at the scene.

A large force of riot police had been on standby in the district for much of the night, with long lines of police vans parked in the area.

Late on Sunday evening, some protesters dug up bricks and scattered them on the road at the junction of Soy Street and Sai Yeung Choi Street South, where tear gas was first used.

Subsequent rounds of tear gas were fired off nearby on Nathan Road, with at least one canister landing among a group of journalists – some of whom did not have gas masks on.

Some protesters threw miscellaneous objects at the police, prompting officers to fire off more rounds of tear gas.

One man, a reporter, was pepper-sprayed, beaten with batons and pushed up against a wall before the police let him go.

A number of arrests were made throughout the evening.

Protesters set a number of small fires in the area later and smashed up some traffic lights by Argyle Street and Nathan Road, prompting police to fire more tear gas.

Masked people wearing black also vandalised the entrance to an MTR station.

The use of tear gas did little to disperse protesters, with more people heading to the district as the night wore on.

Last updated: 2019-12-16 HKT 03:30