Protesters mark five months since Yuen Long attack - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Protesters mark five months since Yuen Long attack

2019-12-21 HKT 15:58
Share this story facebook
  • Protesters mark five months since Yuen Long attack
  • The MTR station in Yuen Long was shut down by 1pm ahead of protests. Photo: RTHK
    The MTR station in Yuen Long was shut down by 1pm ahead of protests. Photo: RTHK
Around a hundred protesters on Saturday gathered at the Yoho Mall near Yuen Long MTR station to mark the five months of an attack by an armed group who clobbered dozens of rail passengers on July 21.

The men, dressed in white, attacked MTR passengers inside the train and chased some into the mall and beat them with sticks and rods. Forty five people were hospitalised after the attack and residents accused police of facilitating the attack and deliberately ignoring thousands of phone calls for help.

Those who attended the rally sang the protest anthem "Glory to Hong Kong" and chanted slogans like "Hong Kong police, shame on you".

Thirty seven people have so far been arrested in connection with the attacks, with only seven of them being charged with rioting.

One of those who were at the protest, Wong, told RTHK he's not happy with the investigation progress.

"I am not satisfied because when you watch the TV that day, everyone in white were holding weapons and they [looked like they were going] to kill the guys", he said.

Ahead of planned protests to mark the event, the rail operator closed the MTR station by 1pm and announced that trains will not stop at Yuen Long Station until further notice.

MTR said it will provide a free shuttle bus to and from Yuen Long Station to Long Ping Station to pick up passengers.

At 1pm, the authorities closed the entrances to the station and asked everybody who were still inside to leave.