The authorities in Macau on Wednesday announced that they had identified the SAR's first case of the deadly new Wuhan virus that has now spread from the mainland to several other countries.
The patient is a 52-year-old businesswoman from Wuhan.
She was admitted to hospital on Tuesday, after arriving in Macau two days before, via a high-speed train to Zhuhai and is believed to have spent most of her time in a casino.
The officials said the woman went to the hospital saying she had coughing and a sore throat for a week.
After learning she was from Wuhan, authorities classified her a high-risk case and ran multiple checks which revealed that she was suffering from pneumonia.
But the woman developed fever only on Wednesday morning, the officials said.
This puts into question the effectiveness of the temperature checks being implemented in different cities across the world.
Macau officials said they had traced two people who had been in close contact with the woman and they were being placed in quarantine.
All casino staff in the gambling hub were being advised to start wearing face masks, as well as anyone going into hospitals.
Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Ao Ieong U, who is part of Macau's “Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre”, said they are now requiring people arriving at any of the city's border points to fill out health declaration forms.
No cases of the new virus, which is similar to Sars, have been confirmed in Hong Kong, but the illness is known to have spread to Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and the United States.
Last updated: 2020-01-22 HKT 12:20
Killer Wuhan virus reaches Macau
2020-01-22 HKT 11:19
2020-02-18 HKT 08:35
2020-02-18 HKT 08:12
2020-02-18 HKT 04:13
2020-02-17 HKT 23:32
2020-02-17 HKT 22:46
2020-02-17 HKT 21:20
2020-02-17 HKT 20:29
2020-02-17 HKT 18:36
2020-02-17 HKT 18:08
2020-02-17 HKT 17:56
2020-02-17 HKT 16:48
2020-02-17 HKT 16:30
2020-02-17 HKT 16:16
2020-02-17 HKT 16:08
2020-02-17 HKT 15:59
2020-02-17 HKT 13:37