Hong Kong has confirmed its first case of the deadly virus that has infected hundreds on the mainland and killed at least nine, sources have told RTHK.
The infected patient was believed to be in isolation at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, but was to be moved to the Infectious Disease Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital.
Reports said the victim is a man who travelled to the SAR from the mainland on a high-speed train.
Health Secretary Sophia Chan, Hospital Authority chief Tony Ko and Director of Health Constance Chan are expected to brief the media about the situation at 7.30pm.
The virus, which is similar to Sars, had already been found in Macau and Taiwan, as well as Japan, Thailand, South Korea and the United States.
While dozens of people have been placed in isolation in Hong Kong hospitals since the beginning of the year over fears they had the virus, this is the first time a case has been confirmed in the territory.
Earlier in the day, Chan said holiday camps are being prepared to be used as quarantine centres to isolate any close contacts of people who have caught the illness.
Macau also reported its first case on Wednesday, with the patient a businesswoman from Wuhan who had travelled to the SAR via a high-speed train to Zhuhai at the weekend.
Last updated: 2020-01-22 HKT 17:51
Hong Kong finds first case of Wuhan virus: sources
2020-01-22 HKT 17:18
2020-06-06 HKT 00:19
2020-06-05 HKT 22:37
2020-06-05 HKT 21:23
2020-06-05 HKT 03:48
2020-06-05 HKT 01:37
2020-06-05 HKT 01:08
2020-06-04 HKT 23:33
2020-06-04 HKT 22:10
2020-06-03 HKT 11:19
2020-06-03 HKT 10:46
2020-06-03 HKT 09:00
2020-06-02 HKT 03:39
2020-06-01 HKT 18:26
2020-05-31 HKT 16:06