The Department of Health's Centre for Health Protection on Thursday said seven people remain in isolation in hospital as suspected Wuhan virus cases, after coming down with symptoms of the potentially fatal respiratory coronavirus.
Health officials had earlier in the day confirmed Hong Kong's first two cases of the Wuhan virus, a 39-year-old-man who arrived by high speed train and a 56-year-old man who crossed the border at Lo Wu. Both are in stable condition.
One of the suspected cases, who had been in close contact with the 56-year-old, has been taken to Tuen Mun Hospital. Meanwhile six others - who had only been in contact, but not close contact, with the 39-year-old - have been sent to hospital, after also developing symptoms. Four are in Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, one is in Queen Elizabeth Hospital and another in Tuen Mun Hospital.
Meanwhile, five people - who've had close contact with the 39-year-old - have been quarantined at the Lady Maclehose Holiday village in Sai Kung. Another, who had been in close contact with the 56-year-old and had been sent to Princess Margaret Hospital before the quarantine centre was set up, will be sent there at an appropriate time.
Five others, who have been in close contact with the 39-year-old, are outside Hong Kong and are being monitored by overseas health authorities.
Fifty-seven, who have been in contact with one or other of the confirmed cases, don't appear to be sick. They are being monitored without having to be quarantined.
The Centre for Health Protection, which released the figures in a statement just before 11 pm on Thursday, said the figures reflected the situation at 4 pm.
At least 17 people have died of the virus, all near the city of Wuhan in Hubei province. The virus is thought to have originated at a market there, which sold wild animals.