Just five HK people to take third evacuation flight - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Just five HK people to take third evacuation flight

2020-02-22 HKT 22:35
Share this story facebook
  • Just five HK people to take third evacuation flight
Officials said on Saturday night that only five Hong Kong people would be taking the latest charter flight arranged by the government to bring home passengers from the coronavirus-riddled Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan.

Speaking in Tokyo, the undersecretary of security, Sonny Au, said these five included three members of the same family, and two people who had left the ship earlier and had been staying at a hotel in the Japanese capital.

The Japanese authorities said earlier that 23 people had left the boat without being tested for the virus, and Au told reporters that SAR officials were trying to find out whether anybody among that group is from Hong Kong.

He said 70 SAR holidaymakers from the boat had tested positive for Covid-19 and are in hospital in Japan, while 30 Hong Kong people believed to be close contacts of infected passengers are also being kept in quarantine in the country for the time being.

Around 200 of the cruise passengers had already returned to Hong Kong aboard charter flights that arrived on Thursday and Saturday morning. They were all taken to a newly built housing estate in Fo Tan where their quarantine was to continue for another 14 days.

Since their return to Hong Kong, one of these people has tested positive for the virus, sources told RTHK.

The government's third evacuation flight was scheduled to take off at 1:45am on Sunday.