HK man dies of Covid-19 virus in Wuhan - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

HK man dies of Covid-19 virus in Wuhan

2020-02-23 HKT 21:02
Share this story facebook
  • Hubei has been hit hard by the Covid-19 outbreak. File Photo: Xinhua
    Hubei has been hit hard by the Covid-19 outbreak. File Photo: Xinhua
A 77-year-old man is believed to be the first Hong Kong person to die of the Covid-19 virus on the mainland.

According to a government spokesman, the man was a long-term resident of Wuhan. He was suspected to have Covid-19, and after his death he was confirmed to have caught the virus. It's not clear when he died.

Hong Kong officials in Wuhan say they have contacted his family in Guangzhou and provided help.

The government also says that, of the 10 other Hong Kong residents from three families who have contracted the virus in Hubei province, one was in critical condition in hospital, eight were in stable condition, and the tenth patient had been discharged.

Officials say as of Sunday morning, they had received more than 1,400 requests for assistance, involving some 2,700 Hong Kong residents in 37 cities in Hubei. Among them were three women who are due to give birth within the next two months.

Hong Kong officials in Wuhan are in contact with them and have called on their local counterparts to offer them assistance.

The government once again said it was working on bringing home Hong Kong residents stranded in Hubei, the epicentre of the Covid-19 outbreak, as soon as possible. Critics, however, have pointed out that officials have failed to come up with a concrete timetable for their return.
______________________________
Last updated: 2020-02-24 HKT 08:34