More than 7,600 people have been arrested during anti-extradition protests since June 9 last year, the government revealed on Friday.
In a written reply to Legco, the Department of Justice said these people were arrested over offences such as taking part in a riot, unlawful assembly, wounding, arson, criminal damage and assaulting a police officer.
It said that by February 29, more than 1,200 people had been charged and summonsed. Fifty-two had been convicted, 25 bound over, and one subject to a care or protection order. Charges against 19 people had been withdrawn.
More than 500 arrestees were released without condition, while cases involving more than 5,800 of those arrested were still being investigated.
The letter said the Department of Justice has deployed extra staff to handle the large number of cases.
“Currently with over 200 prosecutors, the Prosecutions Division has all along had a dedicated team of prosecutors for handling cases concerning public order events to ensure consistency in the handling approach," it said.
"In view of the recent increase in the number of public order event cases, the Department of Justice has arranged for officers who had formerly served in that dedicated team, and deployed additional manpower, to assist in work relating to prosecution decisions".