Coronavirus cases in Hong Kong cross 900 mark - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Coronavirus cases in Hong Kong cross 900 mark

2020-04-06 HKT 18:41
Share this story facebook
  • Coronavirus cases in Hong Kong cross 900 mark
Timmy Sung reports
Health officials said the total number of Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong has now surpassed 900, with six new locally contracted infections reported as some experts called for face masks to be made compulsory.

The total number of cases as of Monday evening, stood at 914 with 24 new cases added.

Five of the new locally transmitted cases are linked to a cluster involving bars which has already seen dozens of infections.

The sixth case is a 48-year-old man who worked in Marks & Spencer in Causeway Bay's Windsor House.

He had a mild runny nose starting from March 23, and continued to work until March 28 but with a face mask. His wife had developed similar symptoms on March 27.

During this period, he went to a farewell party for a colleague on March 25 with around five or six colleagues at the CEO Neway karaoke lounge in Causeway Bay. At that time he was not wearing a mask.

He was sent for testing after his wife became a confirmed Covid-19 case on April 2.

All of the party-goers are considered close contacts. Two of them have developed symptoms and have been sent to hospital, while the rest are in quarantine centres.

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan from the Centre for Health Protection said people who develop mild symptoms like a runny nose and fever should try not go to work, and should visit a doctor as soon as possible.

Asked about calls to make face masks mandatory, Chuang said the administration can decide on what is the best policy.

The proportion of people wearing masks in the community is quite good, she said.

"But I’m sure the senior govt officials will observe the situation and apply necessary legislative measures if necessary," she said.

Eighteen of the 24 new patients had recently returned from overseas, including five who had been stranded in Peru.

Chuang said all five are believed to have caught the virus in Peru, that three of the five were from a tour group organised by Morning Star Travel, while the two others – a boyfriend and girlfriend – travelled on their own.

She said the tour group comprised of a total of 21 people, including the tour guide, and the remaining 18 members will be sent to a quarantine centre.

The other confirmed cases had travelled from the US, UK, or Japan.

Chuang also said while the number of new cases has declined somewhat over the past few days, it's still too early to say the overall situation is improving.