Govt urged to sue MTR over construction scandal - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Govt urged to sue MTR over construction scandal

2020-06-05 HKT 11:56
Share this story facebook
  • Govt urged to sue MTR over construction scandal
Lawmakers on Friday insisted that the government and MTR Corporation must shoulder the responsibility for the Shatin-Central Link construction scandal, after an inquiry recently found "serious deficiencies" in the management of the project.

At a meeting of Legco's railways subcommittee, Roundtable councillor Michael Tien said the government should recoup the HK$700 million management fee already paid to the MTR.

Meanwhile, the Civic Party's Tanya Chan suggested the government should sue the corporation over the flawed construction at Hung Hom Station.

Despite finding fault with the administration, MTR bosses and the main contractor for the project, the inquiry came to the conclusion that the station is still safe, despite corner-cutting involving steel reinforcements at a platform.

The government revealed this week that the Buildings Department has launched a prosecution against the main contractor, Leighton.

At Friday's panel meeting, Transport Secretary Frank Chan said officials will follow up on the inquiry's report and look into whether the MTR should also be held accountable.

"Our attitude has been clear all along. We will follow up these recommendations and in the course of our investigation, if [we find] there are any losses caused by the MTR's mistakes, we will seek recourse over this," he said.

Democratic Party lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting demanded the transport secretary resign over the scandal being as he sits on the MTR's board.

But Frank Chan said the board had been kept in the dark about the problems at Hung Hom.