Police reject councillor's bid for protest rallies - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Police reject councillor's bid for protest rallies

2020-06-26 HKT 15:09
Share this story facebook
  • Police cite Covid-19 and violence during the July 1 rally last year as reasons for rejecting applications for two rallies over the coming week. File photo: RTHK
    Police cite Covid-19 and violence during the July 1 rally last year as reasons for rejecting applications for two rallies over the coming week. File photo: RTHK
Police have rejected applications by a pro-democracy district councillor to hold a protest on Sunday and on July 1.

The force has written to Eastern district councillor Andy Chui opposing his proposals for rallies from East Point Road in Causeway Bay to Chater Garden in Central on both days.

Police said they had considered the public health risks involved, noting that Covid-19 is a highly infectious and potentially fatal virus.

They also said there had been violent acts during the July 1 rally last year.

On Thursday, Chui had proposed that protesters march in groups of 35 – well under the maximum limit of 50 under social-distancing regulations, which are due to expire on July 2.

Police have yet to announce its decision on a separate application by the Civil Human Rights Front to hold its annual protest march from Victoria Park to the government's headquarters in Admiralty, to mark the anniversary of the handover.

______________________________
Last updated: 2020-06-26 HKT 15:40