Medical experts are warning of another wave of local coronavirus infections as more local cases are being reported, including a woman who lives in an elderly care home and a 28-year-old man who didn't travel out of the city.
On Monday, health authorities confirmed 17 new cases, but only one this was a local case. That was a colleague of a man whose infection was reported on Sunday. The pair work in a congee and noodle shop in Choi Hung.
Sources now say more local cases have emerged since then with preliminary tests showing positive results. The health authorities are yet to confirm the new cases.
Speaking on RTHK, Dr Leung Chi-chiu said the latest local cases show there might be multiple sources of the virus due to existing loopholes in our quarantine measures.
He said the government should urgently tighten home quarantine arrangements and quarantine exemptions given to certain groups of people travelling to Hong Kong.
The director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control at the University of Hong Kong, Professor Benjamin Cowling, also told RTHK’s Hong Kong Today programme that he's very concerned about a reported case in the elderly care home.
"We thankfully haven't had any outbreaks in elderly homes before but if this is the start of an outbreak in an elderly home, I think that's really very concerning," he said.
Cowling also said he expected more cases to emerge in the next few days.
Last updated: 2020-07-07 HKT 10:40