'Unreasonable to ban dining at wedding ceremonies' - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

'Unreasonable to ban dining at wedding ceremonies'

2020-10-20 HKT 20:25
Share this story facebook
  • Some wedding companies have urged the government to further relax social distancing measures at weddings. File photo: RTHK
    Some wedding companies have urged the government to further relax social distancing measures at weddings. File photo: RTHK
Felice Studio's Sandy Yung talks to Violet Wong
Some wedding companies on Tuesday urged the government to allow dining at wedding ceremonies, saying the latest relaxations are not enough to help the sector survive.

The government announced earlier that up to 50 people – instead of 20 – can attend weddings from this Friday, while food and drinks will still be banned.

Felice Studio's director Sandy Yung told RTHK’s Violet Wong that the relaxed rules probably won't make customers who have postponed or even cancelled their weddings change their mind – partly because the dining ban is still in place.

“It’s not reasonable… if you go to a restaurant, or go to a club, you can still eat or drink... inside the venue,” she said.

“Most of the newlyweds would like to have their wedding parties held during this year… some of them have already changed [their plans] but maybe they will [change] it back [if they can eat and drink during the ceremony].”

Yung added while it's good to raise the current wedding capacity from 20 to 50 people, the limit should be further relaxed to around 100 people.

She said more couples would then be willing to hold wedding receptions, therefore helping the sector to survive the pandemic.

“Some of them [wedding companies] have already changed to other industries. Maybe they have to get a part-time job… lots of [my] bookings are cancelled. I haven’t had a job from May to October,” she said.