No fireworks to ring in 2021 amid Covid - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

No fireworks to ring in 2021 amid Covid

2020-12-04 HKT 16:43
Share this story facebook
  • For the second year in a row, New Year countdown celebrations over Victoria Harbour have been cancelled. File photo: Shutterstock
    For the second year in a row, New Year countdown celebrations over Victoria Harbour have been cancelled. File photo: Shutterstock
A number of festive events in the upcoming holiday season have been cancelled because of Covid-19.

The Hong Kong Tourism Board announced on Friday that a fireworks display on New Year's Eve and the Chinese New Year parade will be scrapped.

In a statement, the board says New Year countdown celebrations won't be held on December 31 because of the need to uphold social-distancing measures.

That means the event has been cancelled for the second straight year. Last year's countdown was called off because of the anti-government protests.

And the parade, traditionally held on the first day of the Chinese New Year, will suffer the same fate. The board says performing groups from around the world won't be able to come to Hong Kong because of Covid-related travel restrictions.

Instead, the board said it's considering an "online and offline" event to usher in the Year of the Ox, with details to be announced later.

As for the Hong Kong WinterFest – which started on Friday and runs until January 3, 2021 – there won't be a Christmas tree installation at Statue Square in Central. Officials will instead organise a virtual tour of "Christmas Town", from which people can learn to make Christmas wreaths, candlesticks and other handmade products online.