Ex-Shenzhen detainee makes court appearance in HK - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Ex-Shenzhen detainee makes court appearance in HK

2021-01-13 HKT 17:09
Share this story facebook
  • Hoang Lam-phuc and Liu Tsz-man were handed over to Hong Kong authorities after being detained in Shenzhen for four months. File photo: RTHK
    Hoang Lam-phuc and Liu Tsz-man were handed over to Hong Kong authorities after being detained in Shenzhen for four months. File photo: RTHK
One of the 12 Hongkongers intercepted by the Guangdong coast guard while apparently fleeing to Taiwan in a speedboat has appeared in an SAR court for the first time since his arrest in August, and could be facing more charges related to his ill-fated expedition.

Hoang Lam-phuc appeared before Kowloon City Court on Wednesday as soon as he had completed quarantine after being brought back to Hong Kong from Shenzhen last month.

The 17-year-old was charged with arson and possession of dangerous weapons for allegedly throwing a petrol bomb at Mong Kok police station during an anti-government protest in 2019.

He was taken back into custody as Principal Magistrate Ada Yim adjourned the case to February 26 for the prosecution to seek legal advice on possibly laying more charges against him.

Prosecutors said they may charge him with absconding and conspiring to assist other criminals. 

Hoang and Liu Tsz-man, 18, were the only two among the 12 detainees who were returned to the SAR after being held in custody in Shenzhen for four months.

Mainland prosecutors said because they were minors, they were not charged.

The other 10 were sentenced to between seven months and three years imprisonment by a Shenzhen court last month for entering mainland waters illegally.