The Department of Justice told Kowloon City Court on Friday that it is planning to charge one of the group of 12 Hong Kong youths who were detained in Shenzhen with absconding.
Hoang Lam-phuc, 17, already faces charges of arson and possessing dangerous weapons for allegedly throwing a petrol bomb at Mong Kok Police Station during a protest in 2019.
Prosecutors requested more time to prepare the additional charge and to seek the transfer of the case to the District Court, with magistrate Cheng Lim-chi agreeing to adjourn the hearing until March 29.
Hoang was one of 12 people picked up by the mainland coastguard in August as they allegedly attempted to flee to Taiwan by speedboat.
The 17-year-old and Liu Tsz-man, 18, were handed over to the SAR authorities in December after being held in custody in Shenzhen for four months.
Mainland prosecutors said because the pair had been minors, they were not charged.
The other 10 were sentenced to between seven months and three years in prison by a Shenzhen court after being accused of entering mainland waters illegally.
All of the group had earlier been accused of protest or national security-related offences in Hong Kong.