Ex-Shenzhen detainee faces new charge - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Ex-Shenzhen detainee faces new charge

2021-03-02 HKT 16:35
Share this story facebook
  • Prosecutors told the District Court that they have laid a charge of failing to surrender to custody against teenager Liu Tsz-man. File photo: RTHK
    Prosecutors told the District Court that they have laid a charge of failing to surrender to custody against teenager Liu Tsz-man. File photo: RTHK
Timmy Sung reports
Prosecutors have laid a new charge against one of the 12 young Hongkongers who were detained by mainland authorities as they allegedly tried to flee the SAR to Taiwan by speedboat last August.

Liu Tsz-man, 18 – who was one of two detainees handed over to the Hong Kong authorities in January – was already accused of conspiracy to commit arson, for allegedly possessing raw materials to make Molotov cocktails during anti-government protests in 2019.

The Department of Justice told the District Court on Tuesday that it has now also charged the teenager with failing to surrender to custody.

Two of the co-defendants in the arson case were on the same boat as Liu when the group were intercepted by the Guangdong coast guard and are among those jailed in Shenzhen for "illegally crossing the border".

Liu's case was adjourned to March 30.

Last week, the Department of Justice told Kowloon City Court that it was planning to charge the other detainee handed over to Hong Kong with absconding.

Hoang Lam-phuc, 17, is also accused of arson and possessing dangerous weapons for allegedly throwing a petrol bomb at Mong Kok Police Station during a protest.