The youngest person so far to plead guilty to rioting in connection with the anti-government protests in 2019 has been handed a detention centre order by the District Court, with the judge saying it was a "twisted argument" to claim that breaking the law to achieve justice is acceptable.
The 16-year-old boy also admitted throwing a petrol bomb at police during a stand-off in Mong Kok on November 16, 2019.
In sentencing, District Court judge Ernest Lin said even though the petrol bomb didn't hurt anyone, it made the situation more tense, encouraged protesters and made police enforcement more difficult.
The judge also said he believes that the student had intended to participate in a riot, as he was wearing black clothes and protective gear similar to other protesters.
Lin said he does not rule out that the boy, who was 14 at the time, might have been influenced by academics or politicians into thinking that justice could be achieved by violating the law.
But he said people must bear the legal consequences for breaking the law, and the teenager should be held responsible for his actions despite his young age.
The judge said a detention centre order would be an appropriate punishment, and would give the student a chance to turn over a new leaf.
The period of detention in such centres for offenders under 21 years of age can range from between one to six months, depending on the person's conduct while in custody.