RTHK has aired an episode of its award-winning programme, Hong Kong Connection, that isn't produced by the team normally tasked to do so.
It is understood that the show on Monday evening – which interviewed three musicians who are visually impaired – was produced by a team designated by the broadcaster's management, instead of the public and current affairs section.
Sources said the documentary originally scheduled to be broadcast looked into the room for survival of online media Hong Kong.
They said management had asked for interviews with "blue", or pro-Beijing media, on top of the ones done on the new China desk of Citizen News and the Hong Kong Free Press.
But sources said the production team refused, saying that would have nothing to do with the topic they were looking into.
It remains up in the air whether the original work would be broadcast going forward, and if so, when.
An RTHK spokesman said broadcasting arrangements and content are internal matters, and the station would enhance the diversity of its programmes by inviting show hosts and guests from different backgrounds to take part.
The public broadcaster has axed a number of its shows – including episodes of Legco Review and Hong Kong Stories – since Patrick Li took over as director of broadcasting at the start of last month.