Ex-Shenzhen detainee has absconding charge dropped - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Ex-Shenzhen detainee has absconding charge dropped

2021-04-15 HKT 17:13
Share this story facebook
  • Prosecutors told the District Court they were dropping a charge of absconding against Hoang Lam-phuc. File photo: RTHK
    Prosecutors told the District Court they were dropping a charge of absconding against Hoang Lam-phuc. File photo: RTHK
Prosecutors told the District Court on Thursday that they are dropping a charge of absconding against Hoang Lam-phuc – one of a group of Hongkongers who had been detained in Shenzhen – while the defence said he plans to plead guilty to two protest-related charges.

Hoang, who will next appear in court on July 6, has been remanded in custody since mainland authorities brought him back to the SAR, more than four months after an alleged bid to flee to Taiwan.

The 17-year-old is accused of attempted arson and possession of offensive weapons for allegedly throwing a petrol bomb at Mong Kok Police Station during a protest in 2019.

He was also charged with failing to surrender to custody as appointed by the authorities, after he allegedly entered mainland waters with eleven others by speedboat last August.

The group of 12, who all faced protest or national security-related offences in Hong Kong, were intercepted by the Guangdong coast guard and detained in Shenzhen.

Ten of the group, including Hoang, have since been transferred back to Hong Kong either because they were minors or had completed jail sentences.