July 1 protest organiser to skip annual rally - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

July 1 protest organiser to skip annual rally

2021-06-20 HKT 17:34
Share this story facebook
  • Police displayed a purple flag warning people who gathered on July 1 last year that they could be breaching national security laws. File photo: RTHK
    Police displayed a purple flag warning people who gathered on July 1 last year that they could be breaching national security laws. File photo: RTHK
For the first time in 18 years, the organiser of the annual pro-democracy July 1 march will not be applying to hold a rally this summer.

And it’s been revealed that the Civil Human Rights Front has stopped operating since its convenor Figo Chan was jailed in May for his role in an unauthorised protest held on October 1, 2019.

That’s according to Raphael Wong, chairman of the League of Social Democrats – a member group of the Front.

Wong said on Sunday that some civil groups will discuss holding their own protests on July 1 – the anniversary of Hong Kong's handover to China – although he conceded any applications to the police will likely be rejected.

The Front has been organising the annual July 1 protest since 2003.

Police rejected its application last year citing the pandemic, but some protesters still took to the street to oppose the national security law.

Wong said the league and other groups are also looking to set up street booths for people to voice their opinions on July 1, adding they will comply with social distancing rules.

He said the Front will elect a new convenor in September.