Our main evening newscast. Weekdays 18:00 - 19:00.
Now playing: 足本播放 Play full episode
Selected audio segments:
‘Inviting HK residents to Oct 1 parade may be related to current unrest’ Listen
A number of Hong Kong residents, including police officers, have been invited to join festivities in Beijing on October 1 marking the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China. At a news conference in the capital, Publicity Department director Du Feijin of the Communist Party's Beijing Committee said people from all walks of life have been invited to take part in a parade to be held in Tiananmen Square and Chang'an Avenue, including residents of Hong Kong and Macau, mainland students, and even so-called "dancing aunties". Annemarie Evans asked Professor David Zweig, Director of Center on China's Transnational Relations at the University of Science and Technology, if it was the first time Hong Kong people had been invited to take part in the celebrations.
Pro-govt DAB seeks reassurances from Education Dept on school boycott Listen
An umbrella student group has said thousands of students plan to stage a two-week class boycott from September 2, to try to force the government to respond to the demands of anti-extradition protesters. The pro-establishment DAB party said it met with the education chief Kevin Yeung on Thursday about the class boycott. Priscilla Ng asked the party's vice chairman, lawmaker Horace Cheung what they had discussed.
Ip Kin-yuen insists PTU is neutral on school boycott Listen
Education sector lawmaker Ip Kin-yuen insists the Professional Teachers' Union, of which he is vice-president, is maintaining a neutral stance on whether or not students should boycott classes next week. But he said it has not yet been decided whether or not teachers will take part in the general strike slated for Monday and Tuesday. Ip was speaking to Janice Wong after the state-run People's Daily accused him and the PTU of inciting hatred, and promoting the school boycott.
People of East Timor celebrating 20 years of independence Listen
Friday marks 20 years since the people of East Timor, or Timor Leste, voted in a referendum on whether or not they wanted independence, after being under Indonesian occupation for 24 years. RTHK's correspondent Luke Hunt is in the capital Dili for events to mark the 20th anniversary. On Thursday he explained to Annemarie Evans what people will be celebrating.