Industry mulls safer construction after Tai Po fire - RTHK
A A A
Temperature Humidity
News Archive Can search within past 12 months

Industry mulls safer construction after Tai Po fire

2025-11-30 HKT 12:32
Share this story facebook
  • Albert Cheng said the industry is studying a requirement on minimum distance between buildings undergoing construction. Photo: RTHK
    Albert Cheng said the industry is studying a requirement on minimum distance between buildings undergoing construction. Photo: RTHK
The construction industry is mulling stricter safety requirements at building sites following the deadly Tai Po fire, an industry representative said on Sunday.

Albert Cheng, Executive Director of the Construction Industry Council, said the industry had been called by the Development Bureau to hold a meeting and review safety measures following the incident.

Speaking on a Commercial Radio programme, Cheng said the industry is considering imposing a minimum distance requirement between buildings undergoing construction work.

He added that scaffolding should be removed as soon as construction work finishes to minimise risks.

The industry would also enhance its understanding and regulatory actions regarding fire risks, Cheng said.

“I think the government may strengthen the checking and monitoring of day-to-day work,” he said.

“But I would like to appeal to each and every stakeholder in the construction industry, including the professionals, the contractors and even the workers, they do have to pay more due diligence in their day-to-day work to ensure the full compliance with the standard requirement and government regulations, so that we have a concerted effort...
to ensure [there is] no [repeat of] this kind of accident.”

Meanwhile, engineering sector lawmaker Lo Wai-kwok said fire hazard risk assessment work should be carried out at construction sites.

Industry mulls safer construction after Tai Po fire